Monday, January 12, 2009

seriously, where am i!?




are you kidding me?
i know people have said how beautiful sweden is, but this is TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE! it is still night while waking in the morning. and yes the sunsets about 3pm. dawn + dusk seem to last longer; as if they are extended to be their own part of the day.

by the time i pick children up from school, my breath seems to be lost in the deep oranges, blues and purples on one side of the sky. while there are twinkling stars and a bright bold moon on the other.
many photo projects to come. my first job is to get myself a NICE tripod. [happy belated birthday colette! get yourself a new tripod!]

stockholm is just unbelievable. i can not wait for the spring and summer when it is in its prime. the old buildings, architecture, lights and reflection of the sea [never an ocean here] is quant yet dazzeling. i have found myself a personal tour guide, an amazing lady i met in boston, [yes in the tea shop!] who gave me the lowdown of the city. complete with goatcheese + honey sandwhiches and an max ernest exhibit at the modern art museum.
fantastic!

though i have been learning swedish, it is so surreal hearing it EVERYWHERE, SEEING it everywhere! i am a bit overwhelmed and can see that i have excelled in reading and comperhension, however, speaking and hearing is a WHOLE NEW LANGUAGE. literally.
i am in complete shock at the noises i can NOT make with my mouth. and also little shocked at those who CAN. swedish classes will start soon, so i hope to boost my minimal conversation skills :) tack!

on a side note, i do remember reading about this noise that is made in conversation when you agree with someone. which is a GASP! like we make, but only when we are frightened, or scared .....*GASP!*
no, here in sweden its just a normal part of conversation. took me a few people, and shocked faces to learn what was going on!

while walking in public, everyone just walks where they want. literally. i didnt grow up in a city, but living in manhattan and boston, there is a bit of structure to side walk ediquet.
yesterday, there was a boy about 7 years old who stood in front of the escalators while i was trying to get down. he stood RIGHT in front of me. and i just stood in front of him, waiting for him to move. when i did move, i looked down to him moving the same way as i to block me and then looked up at me to give me a big laugh! what a little trickster! it just made my day!

the snow is gone. the past few days have been mild. and i have fallen in love with these birds i see everywhere! their tails are HUGE! i want one! i found it online! it is a great grey shrike.


the food is AMAZING! i will post my favorites! i have been taking the recipes, and copying them in swedish. then translating new words. this is my big project. dinner in 15 mins? HA! i need all day to perpair and research!

p.s. secret ingredient for mashed potatoes= nutmeg!


too much text, never enough photos...
stay tuned! i have some things up my sleeve.

LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH BACK HOME! not a moment goes by where i am not wondering what you are doing!

xoxo.

No comments: